Below is a round from one of our virtual quiz nights. None of the competitors had seen a quiz round of this type before, and the feedback was very good. We hope that you enjoy it too.
There are ten questions; five of them have numerical answers and the other five have one-word answers. You should add up the five numerical answer to produce a number, and you should take the first letters of the other five answers in the order that they appear to produce a word. When you put the number and the word together they form a word, phrase or saying that is still topical.
- In Scrabble how many points is the letter A worth?
- Which is the only natural number that can't be written in Roman numerals?
- What portmanteau word is used for the cross between a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and Poodle?
- On how many hills is Rome supposedly built?
- Which board game's name is a portmanteau word from Yes in French and German?
- What score is nicknamed Snake Eyes when rolling two dice?
- Which sign of the zodiac is the last alphabetically?
- What nationality is Bono?
- Under what number were laxative pills listed in World War I, giving the bingo call Doctors Orders?
- Rhode Island is the smallest US state - which is the second smallest?
The answers are:
- Cavapoo or Cavadoodle (either works)
- Two (It's two ones)
The numbers (1 + 0 + 7 + 2 + 9) add up to 19. The letters C, O, V, I and D spell COVID. And these make COVID-19.